April 29, 2022
Dear Seniors and Parents of the Class of 2022:
We have now reached the fourth quarter and the final weeks of high school for the Class of 2022!
We have provided the latest information that we have regarding end of year events for our seniors and will continue to provide updates as we move towards the end of the school year. Some of the information below has been updated from our February letter.
We are looking forward to all the celebrations and exciting events to come as we recognize the great accomplishments of the Class of 2022!
Jamie S. Lane , Principal
James Oberndorf, Assistant Principal, Senior Class Administrator
Dates of Interest:
- April 25-May 20: SOL Exams (Seniors with SOL Exams will be tested early in the SOL window)
- May 2-17: AP Exams
- May 16-27: Oakton Internship Program
- May 20: Prom
- May 24-27: Senior Exams
- May 31: Graduation Rehearsal, #1
- June 1: Graduation Rehearsal, #2;
- June 2: Senior Awards Ceremony 4 - 5:30 p.m.; Senior Sunset 6 - 8 p.m.
- June 3: Graduation, 9:30am (Eagle Bank Arena); All Night Grad Party (PTSA event)
*Please see this calendar for all May/June events.
Senior Dues are collected each year to pay for the associated costs of graduation. This year we will be charging $75 for senior dues. Families should log-in to My SchoolBucks and select senior dues in the school store to pay for this fee.
Senior dues help pay for the following:
- EagleBank Arena rental for graduation.
- Cap, gown, and one tassel
- Diploma and Diploma cover
- Graduation programs
- Senior Events
- Senior Class t-shirt
Senior dues should be paid by Friday, May 13, 2022.
All student obligations must be paid for a student to purchase prom tickets and to receive their cap and gown/diploma. We have already emailed all students twice this school year who have existing obligations to be paid. Fines and fees range from the replacement of school supplies that were not turned back in (textbooks, calculators, etc.), course fees, etc. We continue to email out these notices so students are aware what obligations are showing on file.
All students must turn in their FCPSOn device and charger. We are offering the following times for students to be able to do so:
- Monday, May 9 during lunches in the cafeteria
- Wednesday, May 11 during lunches in the cafeteria
- Wednesday, May 25 during lunches in the cafeteria
- Tuesday, May 31: seniors only: immediately following graduation rehearsal
- Wednesday, June 1 (senior deadline): immediately following graduation rehearsal
Oakton Internship Program
We are reviewing all of the applications for those that were interested in the internship program opportunity. Administration has followed up with all interested students regarding their plans. We are excited that we have approximately 65 seniors participating in internships of all kinds!
Service Learning Cords
Due to the recent challenges of the pandemic, the service hour criteria for the service learning cord has been modified for the Class of 2022 cohort. Class of 2022 seniors who accumulate 20 hours or more of service learning are qualified to receive an FCPS service learning cord as a special recognition at graduation. It is important to note that this 50% reduction in service hour criteria for the service learning cord is for high school seniors graduating in 2022. The service learning cord criteria remains unchanged for future graduating cohorts. The service learning cord is also a separate recognition opportunity from the diploma seals (i.e. Civics Seal, Science and the Environment Seal) which the Virginia Department of Education issues guidance on.
In addition, the x2VOL End-of-Year (EOY) deadlines have been recently announced. The deadline when all service hours must be approved in x2VOL for 12th grade students is May 2, 2022.
Any student with a question on service hours can speak with their government teacher or see their counselor. Questions on diploma seal options should be directed to school counselors.
Senior final exams will run from May 24-May 27. Seniors who are participating in the Oakton Internship Program do not have to take final exams as they will be participating in their internship experience. The only exception is that students will still be required to take FCPS online course final exams and/or complete requirements for dual enrollment classes. All performing arts rehearsals are also required and will not be excused for the internship. Students who wish to participate are encouraged to do so, but alert your internship supervisor of the dates/times you will need to complete these activities/assignments.
Seniors will be able to leave school following their last exam period on each day. The period rotation for each day will be adjusted for the whole building to allow seniors to have early release days following their final exam periods.
- May 24, 2022 - Senior Exams Period 2 and Period 4 (Period rotation 2, 4, 6, 8)
- May 25, 2022 - Senior Exams Period 5 and Period 7 (Period rotation 7, CT (½), 5, 1)
- May 26, 2022 - Senior Exams Period 6 and Period 8 (Period rotation 6, 8, 2, 4)
- May 27, 2022 - Senior Exam Period 1 (Period rotation 1, CT (¾), 5, 7)
Graduation Rehearsals - Mandatory
May 31, 2022: Graduation Rehearsal, #1 - 9:00am - 11:00am (Oakton High School)
June 1, 2022 - Graduation Rehearsal, #2 - 9:00am - 11:00am (Oakton High School)
Attendance at both graduation rehearsals are mandatory for students who wish to participate in our graduation ceremony. This helps us ensure that graduation runs smoothly. Students who do not attend graduation rehearsals will not be permitted to attend the graduation ceremony. Any questions about graduation rehearsal attendance should be directed towards Mr. James Oberndorf, Class of 2022 senior administrator.
At rehearsals we will review the entire graduation program. Provide seating arrangements and directions on the processional and recessional. In addition, we will practice all student names to ensure they are read correctly at the graduation ceremony. During this time we will also distribute caps and gowns to students. All outstanding obligations (textbook fines, library fines, parking fines, senior dues, etc.) must be paid in order for a student to collect his/her cap and gown.
Cap and Gown Information
All caps and gowns have been ordered at this time. We have a cap and gown for every senior. If a student or family has any questions about the cap and gown order for their child, please reach out to Mr. Pat Full (@email). Once receiving their cap and gown students should remove it from the bag and hang it up to help remove wrinkles. Gowns should not be ironed.
Senior Awards Ceremony
This year our senior awards ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, June 2, 2022 4 - 5:30 p.m. in the auditorium. This event recognizes many senior students on their academic and athletic accomplishments. This year’s ceremony will include individual Department Awards followed by individual Athletic Awards. More information to come on this event later in the school year.
Since we began the year with the senior sunrise, we are going to end with a senior sunset! Food, refreshments, and light entertainment will be provided to students. The senior picnic will be held on June 2, 2022 (6 p.m. - 8 p.m.) More details to come!
Graduation for the Class of 2022 will be held on Friday June 3, 2022 at 9:30am at EagleBank Arena, George Mason University. For directions and a map, please check this website.
- Due to the size of EagleBank Arena, no tickets are necessary to attend the event. In the event that restrictions are put in place due to health concerns, we would communicate any needed adjustments at that time.
- At this time, there are currently no indoor mask requirements at EagleBank. Should mask requirements be imposed, we would have to follow
- Our graduation will also be livestreamed. The link for live streaming is tinyurl.com/OaktonHS2022
- Additional information on live streaming details may be shared closer to graduation.
- Transportation to EagleBank Arena is not provided by the school. Due to the time of our graduation ceremony, graduates and families are encouraged to plan their trip to account for natural delays due to rush hour traffic.
- As a reminder, all participation is contingent on adherence to the Students Rights and Responsibilities (SR&R) and all school rules.
- Make plans with your family in advance for a meeting place outside of EagleBank Arena. Students will only be permitted to have their car key with them, no cell phones.
- Speak with your students in advance of the ceremony (after graduation rehearsal) to determine which side of the floor he/she will be sitting on. This will help you figure out the best side of the arena to sit on to see their face as they cross the stage to receive their diploma.
A respectful and dignified ceremony has been planned that will require everyone’s cooperation. No messages on caps or gowns, noisemakers, or any other inappropriate toys or items such as signs, balls, balloons, etc. will be permitted. Those who violate the formal and secure atmosphere may be escorted from the arena at the discretion of school personnel and/or EagleBank arena staff.
- Dress Code:
- Business casual attire: (Examples provided below)
- Light colored collared shirt with a tie
- Khaki or dress slacks
- Business casual attire: (Examples provided below)
- Dress shoes (no boots, sandals, sneakers or flip flops)
- We strongly recommend modest heels for any student wishing to wear a shoe with a heel. Students will be standing for an extended period of time before the ceremony begins.
Sign-Language Interpreter Requests
If a family will require a sign-language interpreter please make that request, in writing, by emailing Mr. James Oberndorf by May 2, 2022: @email.
Handicapped Parking and Seating Information
Parking is available for guests with disabilities at both the South and West entrances, including a drop-off location near the West entrance. Van accessible parking spaces are located adjacent to the South entrance. These spaces are well-marked and are monitored by our staff. Please remember that all vehicles must display state-issued accessible parking tags or placards to park in these spaces.
All entrances to the arena are at street/concourse level. There are no steps or ramps to maneuver in and out of the entrances. There is seating available for guests with disabilities at tunnel entrances 4 and 8 closest to the west entrance. Oakton staff will be on site to assist you. Please reach out to Erica Mirabello (@email) if you have any questions.
All Night Grad Party - PTSA
Class of 2022 All-Night Grad Party! The Seniors will celebrate their high school graduation together at an all-night party hosted by the PTSA on June 3, 10:30pm - 2am.
The Class of 2022 will celebrate with food and drinks, go-karting, laser tag, clip 'n climb, ziplining, arcade games and more at Fun Land Fairfax located in Centreville https://www.funlandfairfax.com/ .
Additional information on this event will be distributed by the PTSA.
If you have a business that would like to sponsor/donate to the ANGP, please contact the ANGP Committee Lead, Jaime Barnhart, at @email.