Policies & Procedures


Christina Magnotti
Clinic Room Aide

Lourdes Jreige
Public Health Nurse


Hours and Location

The clinic is open from Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 2:55 p.m. It is located near the Main Office in room 1167. In order to use the health room, each student must bring a signed pass from his/her teacher. In the event that the health room is closed, students are to report to the Main Office. If a student needs to take medication at school or at any school-sponsored club or activity, a medication form must be signed and on file in the health room.

If parents or guardians are picking students up from the clinic, they should report to the main office.

Student Health at Oakton HS

Emergency Care Form

The goal of the clinic is to ensure that your child will enjoy a healthy and safe school year. To proactively plan, we ask that parents update the Emergency Care Form in weCare@School through ParentVUE; there is a section for “Current Health Conditions” and “Current Medical Care Details” that will update the health information for the student. Note: weCare@School will now be found in SIS ParentVUE.

Health Forms

health information form must be on file for all students. By updating “Current Health Conditions” and/or “Current Medical Care Details” in the emergency care form via weCare@school, this will be updated for the student. 

Updated Medication Administration Management

This school year, FCPS is changing our medication protocols to help ensure the safety of our medication administration management in Fairfax County Public Schools. These changes include:

  • Any time you drop off or pick up a medication in the health room, a Medication Delivery/Pick Up Form will be completed and signed by both the parent/guardian and the School Health Aide or FCPS staff member. This form will document that all required authorizations are complete, and the number of pills or amount of medication accepted/returned. A copy of the form will be given to the parent/guardian and school administrator.
  • Medications received will be verified to ensure the description of the medication on the container/packaging matches the medication in the container.
  • All medications must be in the original pharmacy container. Over the counter (OTC) medications must be in an unopened original container. It will no longer be acceptable for parents/guardians to bring in refills from home and place them into the container currently in the health room.
  • Only a 30-day supply of medications should be brought to school. No more than 100 tablets or pills of OTC medication should be brought to school.
  • All requirements outlined in FCPS Regulation 2102, First Aid, Emergency Treatment and Administration of Medication for Students, continue to apply.  

Prescription Medications

Students who need to take medication during school hours must have a signed Medication Authorization, Release, and Indemnification Form. Prescription medications require the signature of both the parent and the physician. Inhalers and EpiPens require authorization forms. These forms must be completed annually. Please be sure to also read the updated medication administration management guidelines above. 

If medication is needed at school or for any after FCPS sponsored activity (field trips, sports, band, drama, chorus, etc.), specific guidelines in accordance with the FCPS Medication Administration Regulation 2102 must be followed. A Medication Authorization form MUST be on file in the Health Room for any medication administered at school OR carried by student. Forms (for epinephrine, inhalers and medications) are available in the School Health Room or online.

Over-the-counter Medications

Over-the-counter (OTC) medications are drugs that can be purchased without a doctor's prescription and are used for the relief of symptoms on a temporary basis. With parent and physician authorization, OTC medications may be given on an "as needed" basis throughout the school year. Parents may authorize limited use for 10 consecutive days with a completed Medication Authorization FormExamples include antihistamines for allergic reactions.

With parent permission using the Medication Authorization Form, certain OTC medications may be given on an "as needed" basis throughout the school year only as a pain reliever for headaches, muscle aches, menstrual cramps, or orthodontic pain. The medication must be supplied by the parent in its unopened original container with not more than 100 tablets or pills brought to school. Examples include Tylenol, Advil, Pamprin, and aspirin.

How can you help your school health room provide the best possible care? 

  • Advise the health room aide of any special health concerns.

  • Update your Emergency Care Form in weCare@School through SIS ParentVUE as you have changes.

  • Keep sick children home. It is difficult for students to concentrate or do school work when not feeling well and stops possible spread of communicable illnesses. 

  • Students who have fevers (temperature of 100.0 degrees or higher), vomiting, or diarrhea are not able to stay in school. It is best for children to be at home for 24 hours after these conditions resolve. 

  • When medication must be administered during the school day or at any school sponsored club or activity, please complete the FCPS Medication Authorization forms. 

  • Medications must be transported to and from school by a parent or guardian; except, with parent or guardian approval, a high school student may carry over-the-counter (OTC) medications to and from the school health room. 

  • Medications must be kept in the school health room or other school-approved location. A doctor may authorize a student to carry an emergency medication on the authorization form. It is recommended to have a backup medication in the health room.

  • OTC medications may be given up to ten consecutive school days with the parent’s or guardian’s signature on the FCPS Medication Authorization form before a physician’s authorization is required. 

  • OTC medications that are pain relievers may be given as needed throughout the school year with only the parent’s or completion of the FCPS Medication Authorization form. 

  • Cough drops and throat lozenges may be carried and used by students in, provided that they are in the original packaging. Students must not share cough drops or throat lozenges under any circumstances. 

The Clinic is Always Looking for Volunteers