Life After High School
WHY TAKE A GAP YEAR?
Students may take a gap year to "recharge", "discover themselves", or "take a break" before starting college. Many students who take a Gap Year believe...
- College is expensive and a student should be ready to fully engage before going.
- An alternative learning experience will result in deeper engagement and purpose in learning.
- A gap year will give some students a break from privilege and their norm. (They'll see the "real world")
When considering different Gap Year options, students should look for a program that is transformative and purposeful. According to Ethan Knight, executive director of the American Gap Association, a program should include:
- engagement in the real world (builds skills and perspective)
- an effective and engaged mentor
(Taken from "The Gap Year Gain" by W. Kent Barnds in Fall 2016's The Journal of College Admission, NACAC, Number 233)
GAP YEAR RESOURCES
- American Gap Association: www.americangap.org
- AmeriCorps State and National www.americorps.org
- City Year www.cityyear.org
- Idealist www.idealist.org
- Center for Interim Programs www.interimprograms.com
- Student Conservation Association www.thesca.org
- Out of Africa www.interexchange.org
- Alliances Abroad www.alliancesabroad.com
- Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms www.wwoof.org
- Rotary Youth Exchange www.rotary.org
- Youth for Understanding www.youthforunderstanding.com
- Global Service Corps www.globalservicecorps.org
- USA Gap Year Fairs www.usagapyearfairs.org
- Go Overseas www.gooverseas.com
- Go Abroad www.goabroad.com
- Teen Life www.teenlife.com
- Thinking Beyond Borders www.thinkingbeyondborders.org