Attendance Procedures & Forms
Full Day Absence Reporting
- If reporting by phone (the online attendance form is the most efficient way to report an absence) please include the items below in your message:
- Student’s first and last name spelled clearly or slowly
- Student ID Number
- Specific information regarding reason for absence, including, illness diagnosis or symptoms and whether or not the student has seen a physician.
- The Parent/Guardian phone number (for verification)
- Emailed excuses will not be accepted.
Partial Day Absence Reporting
Students will use the Attendance Window (Main Office) for early checkouts, late arrivals, and other attendance business.
Students arriving after 8:10 AM (1st Period start) will be marked unexcused tardy.
- Please do not use the online form or call the attendance line for late arrivals. Students must have a handwritten note from a parent or doctor. If you would like to fax a note, our fax number is 703-319-2708.
- If a student does not have a note, they will be marked "unexcused tardy" and must present a note to the Attendance Office within 48 hours for the tardy to be changed to excused.
- In the note, please include the student name, time the student is coming to school, the reason for the tardy, a parent/guardian signature, the student ID, and contact phone number for follow-up.
- The following will not be excused: oversleeping, power outages, car trouble, traffic, and missing the bus. Students will be given a pass to enter their assigned class after checking in at the Attendance Window.
Students who are late to class without a valid pass will be recorded as unexcused tardy. Students who miss class without a valid reason or do not follow the procedure will be recorded as unexcused absent. Both of these behaviors may lead to a referral to the Oakton administrative team.
Early Checkout Procedures
Students checking out of school early must bring a note to the Attendance office or use the online form. If the note/form information is for a valid absence the student will be issued a pass to leave class at the appointed time.
- Parents may use our online attendance form to report a partial day absence.
- Students must stop by the Attendance Office to pick up their checkout pass
- Please use your lunch period to pick up your pass
- Every student must sign out through the Attendance Office prior to leaving the building.
- If a student leaves campus without permission or without checking out, they may be subject to disciplinary action.
- Due to check-out volume, please use the online form for early check outs. Phone calls are not accepted.
- Please use the online form for early check out. You may also fax a note to our fax number: 703-319-2708. Email notes are not accepted.
- In the check-out note, please include the student name, time the student will leave school, when they will return (if applicable), the reason for the check-out, a parent/guardian signature, the student ID, and contact phone number for follow-up.
- If returning to school that same day, students must check in at the Attendance office before going back to class, even if it is between classes.
Pre- Arranged Absences
Parents / Students complete the Oakton Pre Arranged Absence Form at least one week (five school days) prior to the first day of the absence.
The following process will be followed as we navigate the virtual return to school:
- All portions of the form must be completed. The form with absence details will be reviewed by Oakton Administration (to determine whether the absence will be excused or unexcused).
- Students are permitted a maximum of three days per year for events like college visits, religious holidays, and required family trips.