Graduation is June 3, 2022
May 27, 2022
Dear Seniors and Parents of the Class of 2022:
The Class of 2022 is just one week away from graduation!
We have provided the final updates and pieces of information below to ensure everyone is ready for June 3! Prior to rehearsal on Tuesday, it is important that students turn in their laptop/charger if they have not done so already, paid any outstanding financial obligations (we can take cash or check), and completed their senior survey in Naviance. We will have stations and staff available to assist any senior in completing these tasks.
We are looking forward to celebrating the Class of 2022 in the week ahead!
Jamie S. Lane , Principal
James Oberndorf, Assistant Principal, Senior Class Administrator
- May 31 :Oakton Internship Exhibition of Learning; Graduation Rehearsal, #1; Graduation Walks at Pyramid Elementary Schools
- June 1 - Graduation Rehearsal, #2; Graduation Photo Opportunities at Pyramid Middle Schools
- June 2: Senior Awards Ceremony 4 - 5:30 p.m.; Senior Sunset 6 - 8 p.m.
- June 3 - Graduation, 9:30am (Eagle Bank Arena); All Night Grad Party (PTSA event)
*Please see this calendar for all May/June events.
Senior Dues are collected each year to pay for the associated costs of graduation. This year we will be charging $75 for senior dues. Families should log-in to My SchoolBucks and select senior dues in the school store to pay for this fee.
Senior dues help pay for the following:
- EagleBank Arena rental for graduation.
- Cap, gown, and one tassel
- Diploma and Diploma cover
- Graduation programs
- Senior Events
- Senior Class t-shirt
Senior dues should be paid by Friday, May 13, 2022.
All student obligations must be paid for a student to purchase prom tickets and to receive their cap and gown/diploma. We have already emailed all students twice this school year who have existing obligations to be paid. Fines and fees range from the replacement of school supplies that were not turned back in (textbooks, calculators, etc.), course fees, etc. We continue to email out these notices so students are aware what obligations are showing on file.
All students must turn in their FCPSOn device and charger. We are offering the following times for students to be able to do so:
- Tuesday, May 31: seniors only: before or immediately following graduation rehearsal
- Wednesday, June 1 (senior deadline): before or immediately following graduation rehearsal
We are excited to welcome our seniors back on Tuesday who participated in the Oakton Internship Program. They will participate in an Exhibition of Learning(EOL) in Oakton Hall and share with students and staff what they learned. Students need to arrive by 8:15am, with the EOL actually beginning at 8:30am. Parents are welcome to stop by and see the experiences that our seniors participated in.
Cords and Stoles
All cords and stoles that students earned should be picked up by the appropriate sponsor and/or staff member. If a senior has a question on a cord or stole, they should ask at one of the rehearsals.
Service Learning Cords
Due to the recent challenges of the pandemic, the service hour criteria for the service learning cord has been modified for the Class of 2022 cohort. Class of 2022 seniors who accumulate 20 hours or more of service learning are qualified to receive an FCPS service learning cord as a special recognition at graduation. It is important to note that this 50% reduction in service hour criteria for the service learning cord is for high school seniors graduating in 2022. The service learning cord criteria remains unchanged for future graduating cohorts. The service learning cord is also a separate recognition opportunity from the diploma seals (i.e. Civics Seal, Science and the Environment Seal) which the Virginia Department of Education issues guidance on.
In addition, the x2VOL End-of-Year (EOY) deadlines have been recently announced. The deadline when all service hours must be approved in x2VOL for 12th grade students is May 2, 2022.
Any student with a question on service hours can speak with their government teacher or see their counselor. Questions on diploma seal options should be directed to school counselors.
- May 31, 2022: Graduation Rehearsal, #1 - 9:00am - 11:00am (Oakton High School)
- June 1, 2022 - Graduation Rehearsal, #2 - 9:00am - 11:00am (Oakton High School)
Attendance at both graduation rehearsals are mandatory for students who wish to participate in our graduation ceremony. This helps us ensure that graduation runs smoothly. Students who do not attend graduation rehearsals will not be permitted to attend the graduation ceremony. Any questions about graduation rehearsal attendance should be directed towards Mr. James Oberndorf, Class of 2022 senior administrator.
At rehearsals we will review the entire graduation program. Provide seating arrangements and directions on the processional and recessional. In addition, we will practice all student names to ensure they are read correctly at the graduation ceremony. During this time we will also distribute caps and gowns to students. All outstanding obligations (textbook fines, library fines, parking fines, senior dues, etc.) must be paid in order for a student to collect his/her cap and gown.
We have coordinated with our feeder elementary and middle schools to allow students who are interested a chance to walk down memory lane as they prepare to end this chapter! This is completely optional and voluntary for those interested in participating.
Tuesday, May 31 at 12:00pm
The Class of 2022 is invited to go back to where it all began and walk through the halls of their elementary school in their cap and gown to be celebrated by students and staff. This includes: Navy, Mosaic (Mosby Woods), Waples Mill, Oakton Elementary, and Crossfield.
Wednesday, June 1 at 12:00pm
The Class of 2022 is invited to take a brief stop to remember their middle school years and take pictures in their cap and gowns outside at the main entrance of their middle schools. This includes: Carson, Franklin, Jackson, and Thoreau!
If students have fulfilled all obligations, they will receive their cap and gown on Tuesday, May 31 at the graduation rehearsal. Once receiving their cap and gown students should remove it from the bag and hang it up to help remove wrinkles. Gowns should not be ironed.
This year our senior awards ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, June 2, 2022 4 - 5:30 p.m. in the auditorium. This event recognizes many senior students on their academic accomplishments. This year’s ceremony will include military academy appointments, individual Department Awards followed by Honor Graduate recognitions. All students being recognized have been notified via email.
Since we began the year with the senior sunrise, we are going to end with a senior sunset! Food, refreshments, and light entertainment will be provided to students. The senior picnic will be held on June 2, 2022 (6 p.m. - 8 p.m.) on the softball field.
Graduation for the Class of 2022 will be held on Friday June 3, 2022 at 9:30am at EagleBank Arena, George Mason University. For directions and a map, please check this website.
- Due to the size of Eaglebank Arena, no tickets are necessary to attend the event. In the event that restrictions are put in place due to health concerns, we would communicate any needed adjustments at that time.
- At this time, there are currently no indoor mask requirements at EagleBank. Should mask requirements be imposed, we would have to follow
- Transportation to EagleBank Arena is not provided by the school. Due to the time of our graduation ceremony, graduates and families are encouraged to plan their trip to account for natural delays due to rush hour traffic.
- As a reminder, all participation is contingent on adherence to the Students Rights and Responsibilities (SR&R) and all school rules.
- Make plans with your family in advance for a meeting place outside of Eaglebank Arena. Students will only be permitted to have their car key with them, no cell phones.
- Speak with your students in advance of the ceremony (after graduation rehearsal) to determine which side of the floor he/she will be sitting on. This will help you figure out the best side of the arena to sit on to see their face as they cross the stage to receive their diploma. This information will be shared with students at rehearsal.
- Students need to arrive at EagleBank no later than 8:30 am. Doors will open for parents at 9:00 am.
Live Streaming & Memories Videography:
- Our graduation will be livestreamed. The link for live streaming is tinyurl.com/OaktonHS2022
- Additional information on live streaming details may be shared closer to graduation.
- Memories Videography will also be recording today’s graduation ceremony. You may visit www.memoriesvideography.com to purchase a copy. Please allow 6-8 weeks for shipping & delivery after the graduation ceremony.
A respectful and dignified ceremony has been planned that will require everyone’s cooperation. No messages on caps or gowns, noisemakers, or any other inappropriate toys or items such as signs, balls, balloons, etc. will be permitted. Those who violate the formal and secure atmosphere may be escorted from the arena at the discretion of school personnel and/or Eaglebank arena staff.
- Dress Code:
- Business casual attire: (Examples provided below)
- Light colored collared shirt with a tie
- Khaki or dress slacks
- Business casual attire: (Examples provided below)
- Dress shoes (no boots, sandals, sneakers or flip flops)
- We strongly recommend modest heels for any student wishing to wear a shoe with a heel. Students will be standing for an extended period of time before the ceremony begins.
Sign-Language Interpreter Requests
If a family will require a sign-language interpreter please make that request, in writing, by emailing Mr. James Oberndorf by May 2, 2022: @email.
Handicapped Parking and Seating Information
Parking is available for guests with disabilities at both the South and West entrances, including a drop-off location near the West entrance. Van accessible parking spaces are located adjacent to the South entrance. These spaces are well-marked and are monitored by our staff. Please remember that all vehicles must display state-issued accessible parking tags or placards to park in these spaces.
All entrances to the arena are at street/concourse level. There are no steps or ramps to maneuver in and out of the entrances. There is seating available for guests with disabilities at tunnel entrances 4 and 8 closest to the west entrance. Oakton staff will be on site to assist you. Please reach out to Erica Mirabello (@email) if you have any questions.
Class of 2022 All-Night Grad Party! The Seniors will celebrate their high school graduation together at an all-night party hosted by the PTSA on June 3, 10:30pm - 2am.
The Class of 2022 will celebrate with food and drinks, go-karting, laser tag, clip 'n climb, ziplining, arcade games and more at Fun Land Fairfax located in Centreville https://www.funlandfairfax.com/ .
Additional information on this event will be distributed by the PTSA.
If you have a business that would like to sponsor/donate to the ANGP, please contact the ANGP Committee Lead, Jaime Barnhart, at @email .