Senior Events Spring 2022
February 11, 2022
Dear Seniors and Parents of the Class of 2022,
Congratulations! In a matter of months, the Oakton High School Class of 2022 will receive their diplomas from Oakton High School! Please take a moment in the coming days to read through the entirety of this email as there are a lot of important details. As the year progresses we will send updated senior letters to ensure our students and families are informed and feel prepared for graduation!
We are looking forward to all the celebrations and exciting events to come as we recognize the great accomplishments of the Class of 2022!
Jamie S. Lane, Principal
James Oberndorf , Assistant Principal, Senior Class Administrator
Dates of Interest:
- March 22-23: Model Congress (in-school activity)
- April 13: Capitol Hill Field Trip
- April 25-May 20: SOL Exams (Seniors with SOL Exams will be tested early in the SOL window)
- May 2-17: AP Exams
- May 16- May 27: Oakton Internship Program
- May 20: Prom
- May 24-27: Senior Exams
- May 31 :Graduation Rehearsal, #1
- June 1 - Graduation Rehearsal, #2;
- June 2: Senior Awards Ceremony; Senior Picnic
- June 3 - Graduation, 9:30am (Eagle Bank Arena); All Night Grad Party (PTSA event)
*Please see this calendar for all May/June events.
Senior Dues are collected each year to pay for the associated costs of graduation. This year we will be charging $75 for senior dues. Families should log-in to My SchoolBucks and select senior dues in the school store to pay for this fee.
Senior dues help pay for the following:
- EagleBank Arena rental for graduation.
- Cap, gown, and one tassel
- Diploma and Diploma cover
- Graduation programs
- Senior Events
- Senior Class t-shirt
Oakton Internship Program
We are excited to resume our Oakton Internship Program! Our hope is that any interested seniors can participate in an internship that will provide real-life experiences and opportunities prior to embarking on their next journey. There will be an application process for interested seniors and will be subject to both teacher, parent and administrative approval.
Eligible seniors may participate in an internship serving in local businesses, schools, and community service organizations in our area. This internship must be secured by the student at the time of his/her application. Immediate family members (parents or siblings) may not serve as the sponsor for a student’s internship.
Seniors were provided with this presentation in December. Please review this presentation for more detailed information on the application process and guidelines for the experience.
Applications will be available on February 18, 2022 and will be due on April 1, 2022. Seniors can access their application on the Class of 2022 schoology account or through Oakton’s website.
*Due to the overlap with AP exams, students who wish to participate will want to clearly communicate that they will not be available for their internship on May 16 or May 17 if they are scheduled for an AP exam. Performing Arts rehearsal schedules should also be communicated in advance to potential internship hosts.
Service Learning Cords
Due to the recent challenges of the pandemic, the service hour criteria for the service learning cord has been modified for the Class of 2022 cohort. Class of 2022 seniors who accumulate 20 hours or more of service learning are qualified to receive an FCPS service learning cord as a special recognition at graduation. It is important to note that this 50% reduction in service hour criteria for the service learning cord is for high school seniors graduating in 2022. The service learning cord criteria remains unchanged for future graduating cohorts. The service learning cord is also a separate recognition opportunity from the diploma seals (i.e. Civics Seal, Science and the Environment Seal) which the Virginia Department of Education issues guidance on.
In addition, the x2VOL End-of-Year (EOY) deadlines have been recently announced. The deadline when all service hours must be approved in x2VOL for 12th grade students is May 2, 2022.
Any student with a question on service hours can speak with their government teacher or see their counselor. Questions on diploma seal options should be directed to school counselors.
Senior final exams will run from May 24-May 27.
Seniors will be able to leave school following their last exam period on each day. The period rotation for each day will be adjusted for the whole building to allow seniors to have early release days following their final exam periods.
- May 24, 2022 - Senior Exams Period 2 and Period 4 (Period rotation 2, 4, 6, 8)
- May 25, 2022 - Senior Exams Period 5 and Period 7 (Period rotation 7, CT (½), 5, 1)
- May 26, 2022 - Senior Exams Period 6 and Period 8 (Period rotation 6, 8, 2, 4)
- May 27, 2022 - Senior Exam Period 1 (Period rotation 1, CT (¾), 5, 7)
*Seniors who are participating in the Oakton Internship Program do not have to take final exams as they will be participating in their internship experience. The only exception is that students will still be required to take FCPS online course final exams and/or complete requirements for dual enrollment classes. All performing arts rehearsals are also required and will not be excused for the internship. Students who wish to participate are encouraged to do so, but alert your internship supervisor of the dates/times you will need to complete these activities/assignments.
Graduation Rehearsals - Mandatory
May 31, 2022: Graduation Rehearsal, #1 - 9:00am - 11:00am (Oakton High School)
June 1, 2022 - Graduation Rehearsal, #2 - 9:00am - 11:00am (Oakton High School)
Attendance at both graduation rehearsals are mandatory for students who wish to participate in our graduation ceremony. This helps us ensure that graduation runs smoothly. Students who do not attend graduation rehearsals will not be permitted to attend the graduation ceremony. Any questions about graduation rehearsal attendance should be directed towards Mr. James Oberndorf, Class of 2022 senior administrator.
At rehearsals we will review the entire graduation program. Provide seating arrangements and directions on the processional and recessional. In addition, we will practice all student names to ensure they are read correctly at the graduation ceremony. During this time we will also distribute caps and gowns to students. All outstanding obligations (textbook fines, library fines, parking fines, senior dues, etc.) must be paid in order for a student to collect his/her cap and gown.
Cap and Gown Information
All seniors should have completed their cap and gown orders at this point. We emailed any family and student directly who we were missing information from. Students will receive their cap and gown at graduation rehearsal. Once receiving their cap and gown students should remove it from the bag and hang it up to help remove wrinkles. Gowns should not be ironed.
Senior Awards Ceremony
This year our senior awards ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, June 2, 2022 (Time TBD) in the auditorium. This event recognizes many senior students on their academic and athletic accomplishments. This year’s ceremony will include individual Department Awards followed by individual Athletic Awards. More information to come on this event later in the school year.
Oakton tradition is to have a senior picnic as a part of senior week leading up to graduation. Food, refreshments, and light entertainment will be provided to students. The senior picnic will be held on June 2, 2022 (time TBD). More details to come!
Graduation for the Class of 2022 will be held on Friday June 3, 2022 at 9:30am at EagleBank Arena, George Mason University. For directions and a map, please check this website. Due to the size of EagleBank Arena, no tickets are necessary to attend the event. In the event that restrictions are put in place due to health concerns, we would communicate any needed adjustments at that time. Our graduation will also be livestreamed. Information on live streaming details will be shared closer to graduation.
A respectful and dignified ceremony has been planned that will require everyone’s cooperation. No messages on caps or gowns, noisemakers, or any other inappropriate toys or items such as signs, balls, balloons, etc. will be permitted. Those who violate the formal and secure atmosphere may be escorted from the arena at the discretion of school personnel and/or EagleBank arena staff.
- Each senior that has fulfilled his/her financial and academic obligations will be invited to participate in our graduation ceremony. As a reminder, all participation is contingent on adherence to the Students Rights and Responsibilities (SR&R) and all school rules.
- If a family will require a sign-language interpreter please make that request, in writing, by emailing Mr. James Oberndorf by May 2, 2022: @email.
- Transportation to EagleBank Arena is not provided by the school. Due to the time of our graduation ceremony, graduates and families are encouraged to plan their trip to account for natural delays due to rush hour traffic.
- Dress Code:
- Business casual attire: (Examples provided below)
- Light colored collared shirt with a tie
- Khaki or dress slacks
- Business casual attire: (Examples provided below)
- Dress shoes (no boots, sandals, sneakers or flip flops)
- We strongly recommend modest heels for any student wishing to wear a shoe with a heel. Students will be standing for an extended period of time before the ceremony begins.
- Make plans with your family in advance for a meeting place outside of EagleBank Arena. Students will only be permitted to have their car key with them, no cell phones.
- Speak with your students in advance of the ceremony (after graduation rehearsal) to determine which side of the floor he/she will be sitting on. This will help you figure out the best side of the arena to sit on to see their face as they cross the stage to receive their diploma.
- Victor O'Neill photographers will be on hand at graduation to take pictures of each student receiving their diploma and an individual cap and gown picture with their diploma after they cross the stage. Pictures will be available for purchase for any family that wishes to. More information will come closer to graduation.
All Night Grad Party - PTSA
Class of 2022 All-Night Grad Party! The Seniors will celebrate their high school graduation together at an all-night party hosted by the PTSA on June 3. Planning is starting now and we will need your student's input! A survey will be sent soon to all Class of 2022 students with ideas for the party; please ask your student to reply so we can plan the best party ever! The event will require a ticket for each student. Tickets will be available once a venue is confirmed.